- Organize and declutter every room. Keep decorations to a minimum.
- Empty the garage, attic & closets as much as possible to maximize the appearance of storage space.
- Clean everything. Consider hiring a professional service to conduct a deep clean of the entire home.
- Remove personal items and memorabilia, including family photos, trophies and collectables.
- Replace dead light bulbs.
- Open draperies and blinds to increase natural light.
- Ensure all doors, cabinets & windows open and close properly.
- Remove unnecessary furniture to create as much walkable area as possible.
- Use lamps to increase brightness.
- Thoroughly clean the fireplace and replace old screens.
- Use coordinated accessories to create coherence.
- Clear countertops except for a few thoughtful, decorative items.
- Empty cabinets and drawers and remove dishes, flatware and cookware that don't match.
- Clean all appliances, including the inside of the oven, microwave and refrigerator.
- Clean and organize the pantry to maximize space.
- Empty trash cans and move them out of sight.
- Remove coupons, magnets and photographs from the refrigerator.
- Scrub every surface, including hard-to-reach areas behind the sink and toilet.
- Remove personal products like medicine & hygiene supplies.
- Replace old shower curtains and bath mats.
- Use vinegar to remove hard water stains and clean shower heads.
- Use neutral-colored towels and washcloths.
- Check the condition of caulk and grout and repair as needed.
- Deodorize with baking soda and avoid overpowering chemicals like bleach.
- Remove clothing and coat hangers from closets to maximize space.
- Store jewelry and other valuables in a safe location.
- Depersonalize by removing unneeded decorations.
- Remove video game consoles and standing electronics, especially those with exposed cords.
- Replace floral prints and other feminine or masculine items with gender-neutral alternatives.
Walls, Windows & Doors
- Remove personal items like family portraits.
- Patch any holes and consider a fresh coat of paint where needed.
- Replace missing or damaged outlet covers.
- Wash windows, inside and out.
- Repair or replace damaged screens.
- Consider repainting bold and gender-specific colors with bright, neutral alternatives.
- Power-wash the home exterior, driveway, and porch areas.
- Clean the mailbox or replace it if necessary.
- Weed beds and trim back trees and shrubs. Consider fresh mulch.
- Store lawn equipment and children’s toys out of site.
- Replace any bulbs around the exterior of the home.
- Remove pet hair from furniture and all surfaces.
- Consider special cleaning products to remove pet stains.
- Remove beds, toys, food bowls and other pet items.
- Be sure pets are not present for showings.
- Consider a fresh coat of paint on older cabinets.
- Use high-adhesion primer and an epoxy based paint to freshen up dated tile.
- Open windows and use candles to create an inviting aroma.
- Use mirrors to increase the appearance of space and brighten dark areas.
- Avoid cooking odorous foods on showing days.